Updated: Dec 10, 2020
HEALTH BENEFITS OF YOGA
Yoga is a 5000-year-old art if not a science which originated in India. It is derived from the word 'Yuj' meaning a union of our own consciousness with the ultimate or the divine consciousness. Many think yoga is a physical exercise where people stress their body in the most complex way, but this is the most superficial aspect of this science of unfolding the uncountable potentials of the human mind and soul. Yoga is attaining more and more prominent role in our daily life, and more people are coming to know its benefits. You might ask what this ancient form of practice can do for us in our busy life, and why should we practice it regularly.
1. Complete Health Health is dependent of physical, mental and social well-being. And from practices like Asanas to meditation, Yoga helps you achieve complete fitness. When your health is fit, you are ready to handle any situation.
2. Stress Relief Stress induces a hormone in the body called cortisol. Excess of cortisol in the body can suppress thyroid function, increase blood pressure and decrease muscle tissue. Yoga helps our body to reduce this hormone as it has been medically proven that Yoga can activate the parasympathetic nervous system. We accumulate a lot of stress during the day at work and home and we must get this stress out of our body as soon as possible.To bring the body back into balance.
3. Weight Loss When you start practicing Yoga for weight loss, you will not only be losing weight but also improving your overall health. Yoga helps you to condition your internal systems and organs, in addition to helping you get rid of any extra fat your body might be storing. You will notice that once you start losing weight, your body will improve, your health will improve and you will become much fitter.
4. Mental Awareness Yoga helps your mind stay in the present and helps you clear negative thoughts. Yoga helps you believe that the most important time is now and that is the best place for your mind to be.
5. Memory Boosting Practicing yoga regularly will help you to develop Better blood circulation which can bring more oxygen to the brain, this will make the cells and nerves more alive. This will definitely do a lot to improve your memory power.
6. Increased Energy At work or at home, people generally find themselves tired in the middle of the day. Whenever you feel this, a 10-15 minute yoga session from a reputed teacher (physical or virtual) can fill you up with energy and help you live out the day at your best efficiency.
7. Increased Concentration We all need focus and concentration to do various day-to-day tasks, but if you have been struggling with your attention and focus, it is time you got your loitering mind to concentrate on the things that you need to do. Yoga gives you the power to focus and concentrate on various tasks assigned to you.
8. Glowing Skin with regular Yoga practice and a healthy diet, you will experience a remarkable improvement in your facial complexion and overall healthy appearance of your skin. Yoga increases blood flow and removes toxins from the body. This increased blood flow develops a youthful appearance and reduces the toxins that are released through the skin.
9. Improves Muscle Strength Solid muscles accomplish more than looking great. They additionally shield us from conditions like joint inflammation, back pain, and help to stop the tendency of falls in older individuals. Also, when you develop energy through yoga, you maintain it with adaptability.
10. Deeper Sleep The meditation element of yoga helps relax your mind and remove thoughts that are keeping you awake. The gentle stretches in yoga help reduce stress, pain and fatigue, and keep your body's symptoms in a state of optimum health.
11. Grow Taller Most of the Yogic exercises are centered around the spine. According to traditional Yogic philosophy, the spine is the link of the body and mind; relaxing it is crucial if one is to achieve a state of calmness. Therefore, Yoga involves a lot of stretches that really work out the spine. If you are one of those people who hasn't been blessed with great height, Yoga can be a great help to you.
12. Grow Happy Practicing Yoga can help nurture happiness in individuals. Some components of happiness are actually physiological, coming from the brain. Happier people have larger prefrontal cortexes than other people. Practicing Yoga encourages changing your consciousness to promote positive thinking and self-affirmations. Over time, this will indeed cultivate feelings of overall happiness and life satisfaction.
Yoga has immense power, for your overall health